The Edge (Starfleet Academy)

The Edge (Starfleet Academy) - Rudy Josephs I bought this book pretty much straight after reading the first book in the series and my initial expectation would be that it would be better than the first, which was okay. It's an understatement to say that I like Star Trek and I was really hoping that it would be pulled off incredibly well here.

I really liked how the story of The Edge was more related to life on campus and what happens to the students there rather than something that is happening off-campus like in The Delta Anomaly. It seems to make more sense to centre the story around the Academy itself and not something that has completely nothing to do with the Academy. I enjoyed how the story focuses on all of the characters, rather than just one or two. It was nice to see what was going on with everyone.

In this book, the characters were written much more accurately. I liked how Kirk has a different girlfriend in this book, which is similar to how he has tons of love interests in the series. I'm wondering if a different girlfriend each book is a running thing in this series. I really loved how Uhura's personality was that of Zoe Saldana's version, rather than Nichelle Nichols. I like her better. Oh, and there's also more Spock in this book. Yay!

What I thought was a major theme in this book was competition and it really fits in with the whole Academy atmosphere since everyone wants to be the best. It is also the main cause of the dilemma of the book, which I thought all tied together very nicely.

Overall, I preferred this book to the previous in the series. It felt more like it took place in an Academy and the characters were written much more accurately.